Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Malayan Plaza Hotel Experience

I really wanted to go on a swimming trip for the longest time. I've been pestering daddy bunny about it every chance I get. And now that the summer heat is upon us, I think he was feeling the heat as well so he finally gave in. hehe!

Since it's already near my due date, we just thought of going somewhere near instead of opting for Laguna. We initially planned to check-in at Astoria Plaza in Ortigas since this is the only tried and tested hotel that we've stayed in that has a nice pool. Unfortunately, even though I was craving to go swimming since February, we only decided to proceed with the plan two days before Saturday. When I called Astoria, fully booked na daw sila.

I was so sad with this news that I started to frantically check other sites and google other available hotels within the Makati, Mandaluyong and even QC area. It was only last Friday that I remembered the thread that I used to frequent in GT. I was very happy when I saw different hotels which fit our requirements (malapit, mura, malinis. maganda, hindi SOGO. hahaha!) I checked the different sites and promos and came upon the Malayan Plaza Hotel. I liked their website and the rates looked fair as well. And the pool also looks okay. I called their customer service and fortunately there are still available rooms. And they also had a summer promo! Coolness! I booked a one-bedroom unit for Saturday right away.

After going to my OB for my pre-natal checkup, we had lunch at SM Megamall first then checked-in at the hotel at around 3pm. They have one free parking slot per booked unit so parking was no problem. Contrary to one review I read, they didn't ask for a downpayment upon check-in. All they asked is my ID and credit card for validation (they didn't charge anything in the credit card). One other perk of the hotel is that it's just right across Podium. So you can easily enjoy shopping or dining out without the fuss of getting a shuttle service.

I was impressed that their lobby is spacious. With more than enough seating for waiting customers or tambayers. When we got to the room, we were kind of disappointed with their door lock because they're still using traditional keys (double locks pa and mahirap buksan), wherein most hotels are now using card keys. When we finally got in, I was happy na din that I booked their hotel.

The kitchen is on the right of the door and it's the first thing that you'll see when you get in. They have ample supplies and appliances for the stay: ref, microwave, electric stove, utensils, plates and glasses, etc.


The living/dining area I think has minimalist theme going on. It has a three-seater dining table, couch, TV (cable: Destiny) and another seat with ottoman. The only thing that I didn't like is that the couch was not the comfy type. hehe. Di ka pwede matulog dito ng mahimbing.

What I really look for in a hotel is their bathrooms. That's why I was impressed with the Malayan because their bathroom is clean and has a cool shower. You'll really enjoy taking a bath here


The bedroom has its own TV set, a dresser, aircon, queen sized bed, a safe and a walk-in closet. The closet was unexpected. I thought at first it's another room and daddy bunny thought it's a bathroom. hehe!


Lastly, the swimming pool. The highlight of our stay. The star of the weekend. Hehe! We checked the pool that night but had no plans to swim yet. We wanted to swim in the morning pa kasi. When we got to the 33rd floor, there was a party going on so we didn't get near the pool but still we were able to see it. It looked decent nga and big enough naman. So on Sunday morning, after fetching daddy bunny's sisters from Proj.8 and filling our stomachs at the free breakfast buffet at Q Bistro, we went up to the pool. There were only 2 kids swimming so we (almost) had the pool to ourselves. It was already 10am that time so it was already hot but since we were high up and it was kinda windy, the water in the pool was cold.. as in cold. The first time I went in, I was shivering all over and I was scared that baby Yui will freeze so I got out muna and just sat in the poolside until my body's adjusted to the water temperature. After that initial shock, we were finally able to enjoy ourselves.


Overall, we had a very pleasant experience with the hotel and also enjoyed a fun dip in the pool. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment